Wiki 1st time doing this procedure - looking for guidance

dhuttie

Contributor
Best answers
Good morning. This is the 1st time I have heard of this being done by one of our physicians and I'm looking for some coding guidance, please
"right shoulder needle calcification with lavage with ultrasound"

I'm looking at 76942 for "ultrasonic guidance for needle placement"
20610 or 20605 depending on where needle is placed for aspiration
not sure about the lavage aspect - unlisted?

Ideas? Am I on the right track or nowhere near?

Good morning. This is the 1st time I have heard of this being done by one of our physicians and I'm looking for some coding guidance, please
"right shoulder needle calcification with lavage with ultrasound"

I'm looking at 76942 for "ultrasonic guidance for needle placement"
20610 or 20605 depending on where needle is placed for aspiration
not sure about the lavage aspect - unlisted?

Ideas? Am I on the right track or nowhere near?

I have not seen this but lavage is just likely just running liquid through the needle. this is just an injection to me. so likely just the 20610 for shoulder and 76942 for guidance.

but please await others opinions on this.
have a great day.

20610 can no longer be billed with 76942. Check your 2015 CPT book. I would need to see a procedure note before I could suggest a code. 20610 does not sound correct based on what has been posted.

perfect. I was worried that I would miss capturing something. But the way it sounds, he is injecting saline into the area to help break up the calcifications. I do see where there is a new aspiration/injection code WITH ultrasound - so I am only looking at 20611"Arthrocentesis, aspiration and/or injection major joint WITH ultrasound guidance with permanent recording and reporting"

So, that leads to my next question - what constitutes "permanent recording and reporting"?

(I'm sorry Debra - this procedure hasn't happened yet - my surgery scheduler is looking for the codes to check for insurance authorization)