Wiki 21196 & 21141

Best answers
Has anyone received any denials for 21196 or 21141 for being billed with incorrect place of service? Our surgery schedulers are saying the insurance is giving preauthorization for these, but I am receiving denials showing they are billed with incorrect place of service. I was under the impression that these were Inpatient only codes for Medicare, but can anyone help me understand if they are also Inpatient only for Commercial or Medicaid?

I don't know about Medicaid but you can bill these codes as in or outpatient with commercial insurances. Some insurance companies - mainly Cigna - won't even authorize these codes as inpatient anymore so we have to book the cases as a 23 hour stay.

I don't know about Medicaid but you can bill these codes as in or outpatient with commercial insurances. Some insurance companies - mainly Cigna - won't even authorize these codes as inpatient anymore so we have to book the cases as a 23 hour stay.
Thank you for the clarification. I am getting the majority of my denials from Wellcare.