Wiki I will no longer hold my breath

ChyG89

New
Best answers
I spent 10 years working in the restaurant industry as a cook, and I was told more times than I can count that I needed to get a certification or degree if I ever wanted to get a "real" job. Then the pandemic happened and, in the time of the initial lockdown, I was told that I physically and mentally no longer work as a cook as it was destroying my joints and was my mental health. So I looked up what I could do, saw that my local community college offered the medical coding certification program, and jumped at the opportunity. I only signed up for it because it stated in the course description that it was a sponsored class and would assist in job placement. Come to find out, that was either a lie from the start or the AAPC revoked sponsorship, but I finished the class anyway. I was told about how much of an in-demand job this was, how I would have no problem finding a work from home job.
I got my certification in August, 2023. I fully expected to be working by now. At first, I sent out as many resumes as I could, applying to whatever was available. That got me a couple interviews, but I was met with more rejection and non-responses than I was with interview offers. I had to cut back on how many resumes I had sent out because the constant rejection was taking a toll on me. Then I saw the AAPC offered a free webinar on how to get a job. That webinar was useless. Flat out, nothing they were saying was new, nothing they were saying was telling me anything I hadn't already googled for myself. And during said webinar, they dropped the bomb on a room full of CPC-A's that we might wanna get a job just in the general medical office setting if we can't get a coding job right away. How am I supposed to take that after spending thousands of dollars and countless hours pushing myself to get this certification? I tried to not let it bother me. I got a couple more interviews after the webinar, and they all ended up the same; I have to call in just to be told that I'm not getting the job.
It has been almost a year since I first signed up with the AAPC. I will not renew. If I happen to ever get a medical office job, I'll let the company pay for any certifications they want me to have. As it stands now, every single coding job I've applied for and interviewed for still have the same posting listed. All current posted coding jobs require an intermediate level of experience for an entry level job. The problem that is happening right now is that, for *some* reason, hiring entities are unwilling to hire qualified employees for their appropriate experience level. This is causing people in need of experience to be unable to get said needed experience. It kills me that I let myself fall into this trap. It all feels like a backhanded way to take peoples money to line their own pockets: the promise of a job, just pay for the class, the test, and the various webinars, seminars, and extra classes. They won't actually help you, they'll just let you believe.
It's time to call out this behavior for what it is: discriminatory. These companies are discriminating against people who weren't fortunate enough to "know someone on the inside", they're discriminating against people who didn't have the privilege of having relevant education and experience before trying for a coding job. The idea that anyone on the AAPC jobs board is an actual equal opportunity employer is laughable.

Five years of experience in any field is an intermediate level, folks, NOT entry level. Entry level is for those who have no experience, with the purpose of getting experience. Stop taking their lies

Chyg89:)
I feel for you in this situation. Have you tried to apply for medical related jobs to get foot in the door? Try apply for medical receptionist in a doc office job, or EMR room registration, different insurance company in your area, therapist office, EMS billing or medical billing company as an employee other than coder? Later you can tell them you d like to abstract dx and CPT codes. I d write a hard copy personal letter & resume to the specific manager of the HC department ( do not use online job sites which are over burden) many use algorithms which may not pick it up .Plus sometimes in human resources staff may not understand. I d then try and go to local AAPC meeting in your area to network with some managers there .You can get manager names in Linked In or goggle name of medical companies or doc s offices in your area with list of staff. Send letters & emails to these department managers or fiscal managers to the possible HC employers. Credentialing or posting payments is another job you could do, they will train you.Try this till can get assigned medical coding. Also try contact temporary job services and unemployment office in your area too. They try you out but after so long will hire you full time

Good Luck!;)
Lady T

I second getting an entry level job as well. I used to be a nurse's aide and it took the jaws of life for me to find an entry level job. I crossed trained to work as a unit clerk and they would schedule me when they were short staffed. I eventually left there and took a position in registration at another hospital system. You could always use your kitchen experience and apply at the Hospital food service department as a diet clerk. They have people who take orders in the office and answer the phones and do paperwork. You can get 6 months of experience and eventually transfer into another department.

I got my CPC back in 2010 and had no previous experience. I was lucky to get a coding position with a GI doctor, but that was by accident. I originally applied for the front desk position, but office manager saw my certification and offered me a part-time position. I don't know how I lasted a year in that position, considering all the coding mistakes that I made. I then left that position when the doctor retired and got a scheduling position at the hospital through connections. My soon-to-be supervisor attended my mother's church and asked my mother about me and my certification. I lasted over 4 years when they started making changes. I then floated from job to job that just wasn't a good fit for me, but it gave me medical auditing and coding experience. Then Covid hit. I worked at plant nurseries for that period. Then I found a DME billing company (I got my CPB in 2017) and they took me in with no billing experience. It takes time and have to work your way up. It is very rare to get a Remote Position right out of the gate.

This was a duplicate (actually triplicate post). I replied (below) on this one: https://www.aapc.com/discuss/threads/i-will-no-longer-hold-my-breath.197959/
I am sorry this was your experience. It is not everyone's, but it is definitely an issue, with a variety of causes. Some of it is programs hyping themselves for more than they are. Some of it is managers unwilling to train people. Some of it is recently certified coders with unrealistic expectations (often misinformed by training programs). Some is employers not recognizing the important skills certified coders bring.
IMHO, the rise of work from home has been a plus and a minus for this field. I can tell you that personally, I would not have gained the knowledge I did in the time span I did if I was always a remote worker. Onsite interactions with fellow billers, coders, and clinicians all helped my knowledge. Again, just my opinion, but particularly newer billers and coders benefit from regular interactions with both their direct departments and related departments. However, if all your experienced coders work remote, even if your newbies come onsite, that does not make for an ideal learning opportunity. It is not impossible, but certainly more difficult. Remote work has also made it more difficult for those without experience. If I post an entry level position with a NY starting salary, and someone from Wisconsin with 5 years experience is willing to take that position because a NY starting salary is higher than an intermediate position in Wisconsin, why would I not hire the person I need to train less? Instead of competing only with your local candidates, you are now competing with an entire country of candidates. An entry level remote position could literally be receiving HUNDREDS of applicants in just a few days. There may have been many good fit candidates, and the person who did eventually get hired was simply lucky among those candidates.
I am a strong proponent if this is a change of field for someone, to take any onsite position in the healthcare industry. Jobs like reception, appointment scheduler, surgical coordinator, authorizations, registrar, billing, etc. all provide you with real world knowledge and very relatable experience. Since you previously worked as a cook, let me try to provide an analogy. Let's say someone trained at a top tier culinary program and graduates with their degree at the top of their class. However, they never once stepped foot in a working restaurant kitchen. Perhaps they can come up with a great menu, season food perfectly, and get perfect temperatures on their steak. But if they don't know how to interact with their sous chef, or time cooking for a table of 10, or understand what the owner wants, hiring them as your head chef is going to set up everyone for failure.
I have a very small team of coders who code for subspecialty. I've never interviewed expecting someone to know how to code for complex gynecologic oncology surgeries. I do expect someone with a baseline knowledge of coding principles (especially E&M), and to know how to apply those. Even when I hire for entry level, the candidates who worked in another aspect of healthcare stand out to me. I look for fellow coding nerds who seem willing to learn. Attitude is a big reason in my hiring decisions, as everyone has already passed the same certification exam.
Networking can also be helpful. Your local AAPC chapter (and adjacent ones) can be a good resource. Interacting positively with others on this AAPC forum could even be helpful. I realize that months of rejection can get anyone down. However, if that comes across during the interview process, the person who just interviewed 50 qualified candidates is not going to be excited to hire you.
If you decide you are going to continue toward your career goal of coding, here are some other threads where I and/or other "regulars" give advice about what we personally look for or recommend:
https://www.aapc.com/discuss/threads/practicode.194401/?view=date#post-532727
https://www.aapc.com/discuss/threads/coding-tests-for-job-candidates.193363/?view=date#post-529924
https://www.aapc.com/discuss/threads/struggling-to-get-a-medical-coding-position-for-the-last-9-months.191494/?view=date#post-524785
https://www.aapc.com/discuss/threads/desperate-for-an-entry-level-coding-position.189804/?view=date#post-519817
https://www.aapc.com/discuss/threads/cpc-a.181444/?view=date#post-496791
If coding and/or healthcare administration is really what interests you, I encourage you to continue on that path. Good luck either decision!