Wiki Scar Revision

NPSDEB

Networker
Best answers
Hello all-
Has anyone found a way to bill for scar revision? Since we can no longer use the complex repair codes we are at a loss as to what to use. Cannot use the lesion removal codes since there is a LCD for that and L90.5 is not on that list. I am meeting with my provider this afternoon to discuss this as he wants "to get paid for what he does and some are extensive". I totally agree with this but don't know what to tell him. Thank you for any and all input.

Deb

L90.5 wouldn’t meet medical necessity requirements for benign lesion removal codes, but L91.0 should. If the surgeon is revising a scar for cosmetic reasons, insurance won’t cover that.

Hello all-
Has anyone found a way to bill for scar revision? Since we can no longer use the complex repair codes we are at a loss as to what to use. Cannot use the lesion removal codes since there is a LCD for that and L90.5 is not on that list. I am meeting with my provider this afternoon to discuss this as he wants "to get paid for what he does and some are extensive". I totally agree with this but don't know what to tell him. Thank you for any and all input.

Deb
You are to use the appropriate complex repair CPT code for scar revision.