Wiki Vent Dependence

Best answers
This might be a basic question: When coding for HCC125, specifically vent dependence, are there any specific rules around when to code for it? Example: Can you code Z9911, Z30 Z930, J9503 (if applicable) when it is short term? Or how about when they are extubated and allowed to pass? How about when transferring to LTAC with vent in place? I cannot find any resources. TIA

It might seem like a basic question, but when it comes to coding, the rub is always in the chart note.

Our organization always looks at ventilator dependency as only applicable if the provider documents it such. The chart must state ventilator dependency in order to apply this code, and is usually only used for a more chronic situation (ie. not for short term ventilator dependency). I would also refer to the Chapter 21 guidelines in the ICD-10 book, which may help you as well. I am not seeing a lot of Coding Clinics which could help you here, other than perhaps the 2015, Q1; which doesn't answer your question directly either.

I am sure someone would disagree with me, however we have seen plenty of provider claim errors in RADVs come back to us based on miscoding Z99.11.

Hope this is a little bit helpful, even though I didn't really fully answer your questions.

My organization considers Z99.11 a status code. If a patient is discharged on a vent and has not been weaned + there is documentation in the note that vent is still being utilized we can abstract the code. Keywords would be continues on ventilator, unplanned or extended mech vent, currently being weaned, reintubation. You wouldn't want to use the dependence code when it is part of a procedure. When a patient is extubated the status code would no longer apply.